Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Farmer's Market - Sunday October 29

This past Sunday was the official end of the 'Summer Market' for the Saint Paul Farmer's Market. After that, the 'Winter Market' begins on Saturdays. The market was vastly different than the last time I was there. Since we'd had our first frost all the summer vegetables were gone. There were probably only 15-20% of the number of usual vendors and the crowd was quite sparse, though it was only 8 am. It felt like I bought one of everything, knowing this might be the last time until Spring.



Look at all that goodness! Spinach, broccoli, onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, apples, cranberries, potatoes, raspberries, eggs, carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, sage, baby gourds, buttercup squash, and that cauliflower - I wish you could see how gorgeous it is. How lucky we are to have so much good food here in Minnesota in October! But don't get too jealous - after the market it snowed most of the afternoon!

All this good food put me in the mood to cook.

I've made a wonderful roasted butternut squash and greens pasta dish from the How to Eat Supper book I posted about a while back. The ingredient list is a bit long, but this seriously took no time at all to put together.

The pasta recipe had half and half in it so I used the leftover to make a potato gratin according to Alice Waters' recipe in The Art of Simple Food.



She suggests the use of half and half as an option but mine separated in the oven, looking curdled but tasting fine. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Finally, I made Brussels Sprout hash with caramelized shallots from the November 2007 Bon Appetit magazine. Yum!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! The Brussels Sprout has looks divine. I can't believe you've had snow already. It's been in the 30's at night and the 50's during the day here and I'm ready to pull out my long johns.

Ti said...

Those cranberries caught my eye. I love fresh cranberries!

Shelley said...

Brussel Sprouts were my personal nightmare growing up, but these look delicious to me now. I love your photos of farmers market trips!

Bookfool said...

Supposedly, we have a farmer's market, now. But, we keep forgetting about it when Saturday rolls around. Thanks for the reminder; I'll have to look it up to see if they've still got it going. The hours keep changing.

Ali said...

It's weird that we don't get cranberries at our farmer's market, because I know they grow lots of them not too far from here. Yours look delish!

I'm trying to decide if I could make the squash and greens recipe with the acorn squash I have sitting wistfully on my counter.

Bybee said...

I'd do something very bad just to taste a Brussel Sprout right now.
As always, a tasty haul and pictures that have me drooling...
I remember that I used to read Bon Appetit on a regular basis and try their recipes...thanks for the memories!

Tara said...

bermudaonion, thanks! It's been chilly here at night, I'm wearing pjs and socks. My husband wants to know what I'm planning to do when its -20.

Ti, me too! I love cranberry anything.

Chain Reader, I don't think my mother ever served them, but I love them. Thanks!

Bookfool, it seems like you are in the right place for a good market. Let me know if you find anything.

Ali, that is strange! I think any winter squash would work tastewise, though acorn might be harder to peel.

Bybee, I'd send you some if I could. I am a huge bon appetit fan - have loads of back issues!

Andi said...

Oh gosh! Everything looks so good. Your cooking included. I haven't had dinner yet, but it's about that time!

Mrs of the Regiment said...

Looks like you had a bumper haul this time. Those brussels sprouts look tasty.

Tara said...

Andi, thanks!

Pink Lady bug, I did, and they were!