Thursday, April 5, 2007

New Acquisitions



Oh, I've finally figured out how to load an image from the web. I'm a bit slow on these things sometimes, I'm afraid.

I'd like to share the lovely books that have made their way into my home this week.

From the Half Priced Books near my workplace I purchased:

The Observations by Jane Harris - I've had my eye on this for a while and I hope I am not disappointed. I found a hardcover priced at $6.98 which I thought was a good price.

Bettany's Book by Thomas Keneally - This caught my eye since it is a British edition. I enjoyed Schindler's List and thought this looked worth a try, also does not seem to be available in US.

Mr Skeffington by Elizabeth von Arnim - Virago. I've neither heard of or seen this before so was happy to find this.

The Fruit of the Tree by Edith Wharton - Virago. Again, I'd neither heard or or seen this before. It was published in 1907, so one of her earlier works.


From paperbackswap.com I received:

Excellent Women by Barbara Pym - I've never read her, and the similarities often drawn between her and Jane Austen are just too tempting.

The House in Clewe Street by Mary Lavin - Virago

The Matriarch by G.B. Stern - Virago. When this arrived the cover looked so familiar to me but I didn't think I owned this volume. I looked through all my viragos and found this artwork - "Supper" by Mark Gertler - on the cover of Hunt the Slipper by Violet Trefusis, a VMC - Dial Press Edition. Apparently, Virago recycles their covers. Frankly, I wish they'd recycle them again and use the old cover images on their new editions.

In other fun mail, a package from Sublime Stitching with new embroidery patterns and materials for transferring images. Yeah!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Tara - good morning. I have just seen your comment on my Bath posting and glad you liked it and it brought back happy memories. I see you have a copy of Mr Skeffington by E von Arnim - I think you will love it. I am a huge fan of this author and have nearly all her books on my shelves. She is an excellent writer, if this is your first one of hers you have chosen well. May I also recommend The Enchanted April? This was the first I read by EVA and turned me into a lifelong fan. As far as Edith Wharton is concerned, she can do no wrong in my eyes! Elaine

Jill ONeill said...

Ecellent Women by Barbara Pym is one of my favorites! I've reread it several times.