Sunday, July 20, 2008

Farmer's Market Monday - Week 5 (On Sunday)

Oh, yeah.


It seems as though every week, my bag gets heavier and heavier. This week was no exception. I was beside myself to see corn at the market. Only one vendor was selling it, the counter was 3 people deep, and the wads of money being exchanged were impressive. I brought home 8 ears and they're already gone. They seem a bit smaller than usual - I'm thinking that's due to the weather. Carrots and shallots are making their first appearance of 2008. I'm not sure why I thought I needed four products from the onion/garlic family but there you go. And those patty pan squash? I'm thinking of stuffing them with spinach and cottage or ricotta cheese, per a recipe from the St Paul Farmer's Market Cookbook. Has anyone done this? Or grown these? They're so pretty.

I love vegetables. It's almost frightening how happy they make me.

7 comments:

Carrie K said...

Vegetables are yummy. I've never tried stuffy patty pan squash but that recipe sounds excellent.

Bybee said...

I cried over the beautiful colors of vegetables once. Yes, I was sober. Long story.

Tara said...

Carrie K, I think the patty pan squash have a higher flesh to seed ratio, which I consider a good thing.

Bybee, Yep, I'm the same way. I tell my husband on farmer's market days that I have to commune with the vegetables. Nuts!

Melwyk said...

What a beautiful photo! Vegetables make me happy, too. :)

Nan said...

I belong to that onion/garlic family. :<) Corn! Lucky you!

Mrs of the Regiment said...

Tara, that all looks so yummy!

I am sure anything you make with such fresh ingredients will be excellent.

Sarah

Tara said...

Nan, I bought more garlic today. I couldn't resist, biggest heads I've ever seen. Oh yeah, and leeks, and green onions. Love onions.

Sarah, thank you, and yes, this is my favorite time of the year to cook with all these great ingredients.