Sunday, December 21, 2008

You'll Be Hearing More About This


I have a feeling that The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker (Little Giant from here on out) is going to be one of those books that you'll be seeing a lot of in a few weeks. So much in fact, that this is the sort of book I might avoid, simply because of hype or popularity or its place on those bestseller shelves at Barnes and Noble. So it's lucky then, that I have had the opportunity to read Little Giant in advance and not fall prey to those preconceived notions that sometimes develop.

What makes Little Giant stand out, I think, is it's unlikely heroine Truly Plaice, who is big, really, really big, and whose mother dies in childbirth. Truly is left with her perfect, pretty, and petite sister, Serena Jane and her father, who never quite adjusts to single parenthood. Truly is raised by another family, an unpopular family, and due to this and her size, Truly is an outcast in a small town. A series of events leaves Truly in charge of the home and son (also Truly's nephew) of the town's doctor, a man who has always been unkind to her. Truly grows into herself, literally and figuratively and discovers hidden secrets which lead to a new phase of her life. I could really go on and on about the storyline, but I think it's one readers will enjoy discovering for themselves.

Little Giant is just one of those books that grabbed me and didn't let go. I loved Truly's voice - she was so honest and real. In a sea of books that may be easily categorized, The Little Giant of Aberdeen County stands out, for its unique and rich storyline and characters, and for its writing. The author made it look easy, though I doubt that it was. I should also mention that I think the cover is terrific and fits the book perfectly.

*********

I'll be doing the Mommy thing here, and then the out-of-town to the in-laws thing, and so the blogging and posting thing may suffer in the coming days. But I have a few posts left in me for 2008. Hopefully a review or two, but definitely the breakdown of the books for myself, and my favorite books of the year. Cheers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book looks so good to me - I hope I get it soon. Thanks for your review.

Melissa said...

This one sounds great!

Ti said...

I know what you mean about not wanting to read a book once it hits the bestseller list. I tend to lose interest in a book once it does. I don't know.. it's just that so many of them are not that great.

Bonnie said...

I have an ARC copy of this book and love the cover art also. I am looking forward to reading it. I just may have to bump it up on my list to read sooner!

Tara said...

Bermudaonion, if you don't, it looks like I will be having a giveaway!

Betty and Boo's Mommy, it was a really unique book.

Ti, you're right, so many are not great, but I suppose once in a while the masses have it right!

Red lady-Bonnie, I hope you enjoy it!

avisannschild said...

I haven't read your review yet because I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of this book, but I'll come back and read it once I've written mine.

Happy Holidays!