Monday, April 16, 2007

Back into the kitchen

I've been quite lackadaisical in the kitchen lately. Every time I go to the grocery store I buy similar things, to make the same dishes we like, and that I'm used to making. This is in sharp contrast to last summer and fall, when local produce was abundant and planning meals was a joy. Having had snow here in Minnesota on two different occasions in the past two weeks means that things are not growing here as they are elsewhere in the world.

Well, the bug finally bit and I planned a meal, actually two meals, that I've not eaten in the past six months. Sunday night we had burgers on the grill - not exciting, I know but a taste I haven't had in a while, Yukon Gold Gruyere Galette - so delicious and excellent for work the next day, roasted green beans, and the first strawberries of the year (from California). Monday night we dined on Green Mountain Maple Barbecued Chicken, leftover galette, and roasted asparagus.

I hope this means I am back in the saddle and motivated to try some new dishes. The local farmer's market opens at the end of this month and I am eager to see what the early Spring brings forth. I think I will be needing 101 recipes for asparagus.

1 comment:

Cornflower said...

The galette is a new one on me and it sounds wonderful!
In fact, I think I'll give it a try tomorrow - thanks for the inspiration, Tara.