Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Books read in 2007, continued

My reading list of late looks a bit fluffy, I know, however all of these books arrived from the library around the same time - doesn't it always happen that way - and needed to be read. I am continuing to read Fall on Your Knees. This is a very dense book, and while it seemed that a lot happened in the first 100 pages or so, since then the story is just meandering along. I am sticking with it though, I'm certain the author has something in store.

14. Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella - I am embarrassed to admit this here, but in the interest of honesty, I will. This author is good for a light quick read, a bit of mind candy if you will.

15. Secret Girl by Molly Bruce Jacobs - A memoir, by a woman who did not meet her mentally retarded sister until adulthood and began a relationship with her. This books was at it's best when describing this growing relationship. The author is a recovered/recovering alcoholic ( not sure the correct terminology) and the sections describing this were a bit self indulgent, in my opinion. It was an interesting portrait of societies attitudes toward disabled people during this time period, the 1960s, when people were literally just hidden away. The woman in this book was never brought to her parent's home although it was only 30 minutes away from where she stayed.

16. The Birth House by Ami McKay - I really enjoyed this book, unfortunately I rushed to finish it and then went out of town so never really had a chance to digest and think about it. This novel is set in Canada and the story is multifaceted- the parts I took the most from were about midwifery and the medical establishment's wanting to take over this part of women's lives and not really having the knowledge to do so, leading to dangerous situations. Interspersed within the text are letters, diary entries, newspaper articles and illustrated advertisements which really add to this story in a unique way. Highly recommended.

17. Whitethorn Woods by Mave Binchy - Enjoyed this as I enjoy all her books. This had an interesting format that I wasn't sure I liked at the beginning. Most of the book is a series of vignettes, 2 peoples points of view on the same or intertwining events. Many of these relate to an event or person in another section. In the end, they sort of all come together. The overall idea of this book, which is about a road being built though the woods of the title, was just a way to tie all these stories together, to allow Binchy to tell us about all these different people and lives, which she excels at. I am not a big lover of short stories, I'd rather really immerse myself in something long, so had a little trouble with what I perceived as choppiness.

18. The Key by Jennifer Sturman - This author writes a sort of chick lit version of a murder mystery. She has a business background so the mysteries tend to be about that. Just an easy and quick read.


Currently on the nightstand in addition to Fall on Your Kness are John Grisham's new book which I have to read for my book club, The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant which was lent to me, and Tracy Chevalier's new book, compliments of the library. After that I will be freed up to read what I desire.

No comments: