Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Comfort Food Meme

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all your kind and thoughtful comments on my last post. When I made the soup recently, I just knew I wanted to share it and its origin with you. I'd love to know if you decide to try it. School began today after four days off (!!) and being on a round of playdates I've had little time for reading the two very good books on my nightstand.

In lieu of a book report, I'd though I'd do this fun meme I found at Cat Musings. Join me if you wish!

What did you eat/drink today?

It's early, so I'll answer with what I ate yesterday. For breakfast: tea and plain yogurt with homemade granola with dried cranberries. For lunch: orzo sauteed with arugula (rocket for those of you in the UK), some ham, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese -all leftovers hanging around the refrigerator. For dinner: pasta and bean soup, pumpkin bread and an orange.


What do you never eat/drink?

Peanut butter. Lima Beans. Oatmeal or other hot cereals.

Favourite fail safe thing to cook (if you cook) or defrost if you don't
My go-to dinners for busy nights are: pasta with the sauce I made in the summer, sausages, ham, tacos. I'd like to add more vegetarian meals to my repertoire but I live with two meat lovers and it is difficult.

Complete this sentence: In my refrigerator, you can always find:

Milk, cheese of several varieties, yogurt of several varieties, whole wheat bread, fruit of some sort.

What is your favourite kitchen item?

Good question! Besides the usual - my knife - I reach most often for my microplane grater and my fancy garlic press.


Where would you recommend eating out - either on home turf or elsewhere?

In my hometown - Punch Pizza. They have a woodburning oven and Meryl Streep was reported to have said it was the best pizza she ever ate. My daughter has been known to say "I don't like frozen pizza. I only eat Punch Pizza."

Elsewhere - The most memorable meal I can think of was on our honeymoon in Paris at Le Petit Troquet in the 7th.

World ends tomorrow. What would you like for your last meal?

A margarita made by a friend of mine. Steak Frites with some sort of wine/butter sauce. Or maybe replace the frites with a potato gratin, I can't decide. Roasted asparagus. Some sort of warm chocolate cake with an oozy center. Whipped cream on the side.

8 comments:

Jodie Robson said...

I forgot the microplane grater - aren't they a wonderful invention! Love roasted asparagus and that chocolate cake sounds like a great idea.

Eva said...

I have a KitchenAid garlic press, and I think I use it almost every day! :)

That's so fancy that you make your own granola. If you ever want to share the recipe, that'd be awesome! Store granola is so expensive!

Oh, and I sympathise w/ the meat-lovers thing. I'm a vegetarian, but whenever I make family dinners, my dad whines his head off. And my niece, Kyley, loves meat as well!

Carrie K said...

My, you eat well!

I'm with you on the lima beans but never peanut butter? The horror!

Iliana said...

I think our fridge contents are very similar but I admit I love peanut butter - just had a PB&J sandwich for dinner even :)

Tara said...

GeraniumCat, the microplanes are amazing, I don't know how I ever got by with my box grater.

Eva, the next time I make my granola I'll take some pictures and post the recipe. It's a bit tricky since I'm not into measuring. It's definitely a lot cheaper that buying it!

Carrie, I do? I guess I just like good food! I've never eaten a PB & J sandwich - my husband apparantly survived on PB as a kid and my daughter loves it.

Iliana, my husband says he could eat PB&J every day! Eek! I think it's a texture thing since I love peanuts and peanut sauce.

Cornflower said...

It all sounds yummy!!

Nan said...

Is a microplane grater a mandolein?? I enjoyed reading your answers. What are steak frites? Just bigger french fries, or more like home fries?

Punch Neapolitan Pizza said...

We're glad you liked our pizza so much! Thanks for visiting Punch. I hope you participate in our Flickr photo contest. If you haven't already, be sure to do so by February 15. We're giving away $3000 worth of Punch dining cards. Get the details here: ILovePunchPizza.com.