Tuesday, March 6, 2007

More books read in 2007

Um, I am thrilled and humbled to have had people actually write comments. Thank you!

8. Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk - Didn't love this, and lost interest by the last third. It is really more a collection of related short stories.

9. The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan - This book is amazing and can change your life. It is beautifully written. In the last paragraphs , and I paraphrase here, he writes that to eat a meal at McDonalds is to eat in perfect ignorance. I really believe that is true.

10. Heat by Bill Buford - This was entertaining. It is 1/3 about Mario Batali, 1/3 about working in a 4 star restaurant kitchen, and 1/3 the author's journey of learning about the above and Italian cooking.

11. The Gentlewoman by Laura Talbot - Another Virago. Scathing, depressing tale of a snobbish and hateful spinster governess. She wrecks havoc on all who come into her path and is universally disliked. Would love to read more by this author.

12. Daniel Isn't Talking by Marti Leimbach - Read this for my bookclub. About a child diagnosed with autism and the aftermath. I thought this was best when describing mother's feelings for her children, rang a bit false for me in the romance department. As a parent, I found this heartbreaking.

13. A Midwife's Story by Penny Armstrong - Found this in a book titled 500 Great Books By Women by Erica Bauermeister,Jesse Larsen, and Holly Smith. About a midwife who works with the amish in the 70's. Interesting.

Currently reading Secret Girl by Molly Bruce Jacobs and Appetite by Nigel Slater. I finally broke down and ordered 2 Slater books from www.bookdepository.co.uk (also Real Food). This is a great site, with low prices, no shipping - even for overseas orders (!!!!!), and fast shipping as well.

I've also discovered and made use of bookmooch and paperback bookswap in the past week. Absolutely addicting.

2 comments:

lazy cow said...

I read Daniel isn't talking last year, and had the same thoughts as you. The romantic side of it was superfluous, and, I thought, a little creepy.

Cornflower said...

Good to read these reviews. I had Arlington Park on my wishlist but it sounds as though I shouldn't bother!